Wednesday 29 May 2013

Photo Journalist?

A resident of Bergsjön riding the tram with her guard dogs. It can be a dangerous neighborhood. Almost everyone who lives here are immigrants, typically refugees.  This woman sounded like she was from the Balkans. Recently there was an Albanian mafia shooting (execution?) very close to where I am living. 

Community gardens in Bergsjön?

A Somali (I presume) Muslim girl juggling a soccer ball. She is wearing gloves, a hijab, a full length skirt, and a jacket. That's not because it is cold, because it isn't. And I'm sure she can juggle the ball better without the skirt.

Presumably another Muslim immigrant.

Circular stairwells are everywhere in Scandinavia it seems. It's one of those cultural distinctives I have trouble understanding as an American. They seem very impractical, but make for a great photo!

A view of a nearby residential neighborhood. Downtown Göteborg is in the distance behind the hill.

Fancy bird houses in the woods. This one is log cabin style.

Bergsjöbadet. This is from a platform about 10 feet above the water.  If I get a wetsuit, maybe I'll try jumping in. The water's got to still be pretty cold.

Local boys having fun. Bikes are very important for many people here in Sweden--there are bike trails and bike lanes everywhere--and like almost anywhere else, bikes here are especially important for the kids.  Yesterday I walked past a boy  riding with a little girl sitting on the frame. I saw them go down a big hill, out of sight. A few seconds later they both started howling. I ran to help, along with about twenty kinds playing nearby. The girl had gotten her foot stuck inside the front wheel, jammed up to the ankle between the fork. Talk about traumatic. I wish I had a photo for you, but I lent a helping hand instead. So much for photo journalism.

These boys were fishing.



Two new 10-year old friends I met on my run today. Roberto, a Roma (Gypsy) from Spain, and Tony, a Serbian. Both were born here.

Country gardens. Don't know what's in the little houses, but I'm hoping to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment